Chairperson: Caroline Rheeder (Associate Director: Customs – Cova Advisory & Associates (Pty) Ltd)
The Forum enjoys representation from SARS, the dti and Customs at meetings. Topics that are addressed include energy, the electricity crisis, research and development incentives and taxation laws. The Forum keeps an active watch on trade blockages and hurdles with the intention of elevating this to government level. In addition, proposed new legislation is monitored and submissions are made to the government. The Forum fulfils a vital role in monitoring trade issues.
- To examine the trade needs of member companies and debate matters of broad interest (e.g. new regulations, proposed trading agreements, logistical matters, trading constraints, security, sustainability, taxes/tariffs, and best practice);
- To engage with government and stakeholders related to trade (dti, NEPAD, etc.); and
- To benchmark good trade management practice strategies, tactics and operational measures
Past Speakers have included:
- Lisa Schroeter, Global Director: Trade & Investment Policy at The Dow Chemical Company, on “Trade Policy 101: Opportunities and Challenges in negotiations & best practices on engagement”.
- Juan Cammarano, Trade & Investment Officer at the U.S. Embassy, on “AGOA and U.S./SA Trade”
- Beyers Theron, Acting Chief Officer: Customs & Excise at SARS, on “SARS Vision 2024, the NCAP and the Customs and Excise Service Improvement Program”
- Ashley Bubna, Southern Africa Desk Officer at the U.S. Department of Commerce, on Prosper Africa
- Asmita Parshotam, Researcher for the Economic Diplomacy Programme at the South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA), on “Unpacking the AfCFTA and its ramifications”
- Dr Martyn Davies, Managing Director for Emerging Markets and Africa at Deloitte, on “Trade Trends for Africa in 2019”
- Dr Andrew Shaw, Director at PwC, on “Strengthening Africa’s Gateways to trade”
- Andrew Mukandila, Industrial Policy expert at the dti, on the 10th iteration of the Industrial Policy Action Plan (IPAP)
- Mbini Kutta, Independent Consultant at Kutta Associates, on “African Regional Integration”
- Dr Martyn Davies, Managing Director: Emerging Markets & Africa, at Deloitte, on an update for African trade trends in 2018
Copies of these presentations can be accessed here.