Chairperson: Sibongile Mdluli (Director – Ziyanda Energy (Pty) Ltd)
Vice-Chairperson: Vuyelwa Mahanyele (Business Development Director: Steam Power – General Electric South Africa (Pty) Ltd)
Launched in 2012, the Energy, Climate & Sustainability Forum focuses on issues and news relevant to the energy sector. Discussion topics are held on subjects such as renewable and affordable energy, the energy crisis and energy solutions. The Forum keeps business up to date with the latest energy developments, global energy insights and the implications for South Africa, and identifies obstacles and challenges in the business environment.
- To promote the establishment of an open, free and fair market system for the buying and selling of energy products, enabling access to affordable electricity for all citizens and businesses;
- To support efforts to improve skills development, training, job creation and any other interventions we can impact on; and
- To highlight and safeguard the importance of the role of liquid fuels in South Africa
Past Speakers have included:
- John Smelcer, Business Development Director at Globeleq, on “The Gas-to-Power Value Chain and opportunities for investment in the Southern African context”.
- Dr Thabi Leoka, Economist and Presidential Economic Advisory Council Member, on “An analysis on the Economic Strategy document and what it means for energy”
- Happy Khambule, Senior Political Advisor at Greenpeace Africa, on “The Just Transition – what it means, where we are, the transition to a low-carbon economy, and the impact on industry and jobs”
- Kishan Pillay, Director: Up- & Midstream Oil & Gas Division at the dti, on “The dti’s Gas Industrialisation Strategy”
- Piet van Staden, Alternate Deputy Chairperson at the Energy Intensive Users Group South Africa (EIUG), on “The Unbundling of Eskom: An EIUG Perspective”
- Eskom representatives on the current electricity scenario in SA
- Wendy Poulton, General Manager at Eskom, and Chose Choeu, Divisional Executive: Corporate Affairs at Eskom, on “Eskom’s Strategy Review 2018”
- Tumi Leie, Analyst at Gaia Infrastructure Projects, on “Looking to renewable energy programs for short- to mid-term solutions to the water crisis”
Copies of these presentations can be accessed here.